How to Design a Flex Space for School Work
It seems like each year the school season comes and goes so quickly that it can be hard to feel prepared. Especially if you’ve moved into a new home with a different layout. As parents, you want to provide an environment that’ll set your kids up for success. With Infinity Custom Homes, you’ll find quality built homes with spacious areas that can be prepped for productive learning and relaxing space for kids every school year. From flex rooms to a study to reading nook, our homes are on the exact same page as you are.
There’s nothing better than knowing that you and your family won’t be pressed for space — especially when you need it most! We’ll help you customize your home to fit you just right. Read on for some prepping tips and cool products to make homework and study time fun!
Tips for Back-to-School Prep in My New Home
1. Start in the Entryway/Mudroom. Make the transition to and from school a bit easier by setting this area up as the drop zone for backpacks, outer layers, shoes, umbrellas, sports gear, and anything else needed before heading out the door. Once they get home, kids can have somewhere to put their belongings and take a quick break before homework time.
2. Organize the Supplies & Homework Space. Setting aside a specific area with all their needed supplies is important to keep your kids focused. This could be a desk in their bedrooms, a study room, a bonus room, or anywhere you can keep everything they need. You can stack cubbies with removable bins to store paper, notebooks, folders, academic tools, and utensils.
3. Prep Their Closets. It’s fun to involve the kids by having them help you organize their closets. It’s the perfect opportunity to clear out any clothes and shoes that they don’t wear, are too worn out, or just don’t fit anymore. Have them help fold and place leftover items neatly into organized drawers with labels. Save time in the morning by having them lay out their chosen outfits the night before.
4. Set Up the Kitchen for Easy Eating. Take a moment to clear the fridge and pantry of expired items and stock up on breakfast, lunch, and snack items. Creating accessible go-to areas and a lunch-making station in the kitchen will give your kids an organized way to be prepared for a day of learning. Plus, hungry kids will come home knowing exactly where to go!
5. A Daily Routine Is Key. Every school year, the calendar is bound to get full quickly. Prepare your kids by establishing a back-to-school routine. This might mean having the kids go to bed earlier than they may have during the summer to reset their bedtime routine. Include a daily check-in that gets added to the family calendar or bulletin board along with schedules, assignments, extracurriculars, notes, and anything else you may need.
Cool Products to Help Shape Your Homework Room
Lenovo Chromebook Duet
This 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop allows kids to keep their school notes and digital assignments organized. It includes a touchscreen and a detachable keyboard, so they can easily transition from school mode to play mode.
Magnetic Digital Timer
Keep your kids on track and focused with a magnetic digital timer. Use this tool to show your kids how to manage and block study time for different subjects. It also has a memory setting that remembers your last time, so just hit start!
Portable Document Scanner
Want to save special projects or duplicate study materials? This portable scanner is a great option for keeping track of your kids’ school work, permission slips, and more. You can scan full-color pages and send them directly to your favorite apps, no computer required.
This unique room organizer features open circular compartments to store small utensils and art supplies. It can be secured to the wall or placed on a flat surface for easy decluttering. Stash scissors, colored pencils, crayons, rulers, and anything else your kid may need to let their creativity flow.
Noise Canceling Headphones
Noise-canceling headphones are a great addition to their study room. If they enjoy studying in various rooms in your new home, they can listen to audiobooks and lessons without the distraction of other family members or outside noise. The full frequency response provides a clear, rich sound for whatever sounds aid them while working, like classical or calming instrumentals.
Want to implement these ideas but haven’t found the right home yet? Consider Infinity Custom Homes! We build in Pittsburgh’s most desirable neighborhoods and school districts. We are sure to have a community that meets the needs of you and your family. Connect with us online to learn more!