Housing Market Update: Setting Expectations for 2022
Real estate markets constantly change, responding to larger economic forces, but the last two years have completely roiled the housing industry from coast to coast. For new home buyers, the challenges have included ongoing supply chain issues, rising home prices & interest rates, and complications getting pre-qualified for a mortgage.
If you’re going to be building a new home in 2022, here’s what you need to know.
- Supply Chain Issues. Shortages and volatile lumber prices continue to complicate the housing industry, adding weeks to building timelines. Building material prices have risen 18.8% since December 2020, and everything from appliances to the smallest pieces of pipe have become even harder to come by as the global supply chain issues continue. Builders are doing what they can to keep things moving, and Infinity Custom Homes continues to build custom homes.
- Availability. Lack of inventory has driven up demand for new housing. (The market is so tight that homes go under contract in a matter of days.) The housing market was particularly robust in 2021, with high demand for homes in almost every area of the nation. The same trend will follow in 2022. Market predictions indicate that while inventory will remain tight in 2022, price appreciation will be slower.
- Mortgage Rates & Home Prices. Low mortgage rates (combined with tight inventory) have created a red-hot housing market. Industry experts are predicting that mortgage rates are expected to increase but remain historically low, while home sales will reach a 16-year high. Over the past year, national home prices have increased by nearly 20%. Affordability remains a concern as home prices continue to rise, but they will do so at a slower pace than in 2021.
Why Now is Still a Great Time to Buy
The good news is that interest rates are STILL historically low, which makes building your new home in 2022 a smart decision. Even with the added cost of lumber and materials, you can still afford “more house” than you imagine.
Existing, “used” homes continue to be hard to come by… not to mention dealing with multiple offers over asking price and buyers willing to waive inspections. With an Infinity Custom home, you know you are getting a well-built home that was designed by you, for you!
Here are some tips to ensure you hit the ground running when you decide to build new:
- If you are ready to start your new home search, be prepared to act quickly! You need to have everything in order — mortgage pre-qualification, financial paperwork, your list of wants & needs. This is no time for disorganization or indecision! Contact us if you’d like a list of preferred lenders to learn about mortgage rate locks and construction loans.
- If you find a community or home you like, join their interest lists. (Once homes are released they go FAST. The earlier you join, the better chance you have!)
At Infinity Custom Homes, we’re here to make sure your new home stays within your budget due to our extremely efficient design and building process. As a leading local home builder in the Pittsburgh area, our strong relationships with our trade partners and vendors allow us to continue offering custom home options, and to keep construction moving. While build times can be a bit longer if we need to wait for a delayed product, the result is still a masterfully-built, custom home delivered with the same world-class experience that we’re known for.
Don’t wait, prices and interest rates are on the rise. Now is the RIGHT time to build! If you’re ready, we’re ready! Contact us today to learn more about moving into the home of your dreams sooner than you ever expected.